South Wales Police Crest

South Wales Police

quick exit

Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is the Data Protection Act 2018?
    The Data Protection Act 2018 which incorporates the General Data Protection Regulation and Law Enforcement Directive, gives you the right to access personal information, information about yourself, held by organisations. It defines the ways in which information about living people may be legally used and handled. The main intent is to protect individuals against misuse or abuse of information about them defining the ways in which information about living people may be legally used and handled. The main intent is to protect individuals against misuse or abuse of information about them.
  • What is the Freedom of Information Act 2000?
    The Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides public access to information held by public authorities. It does this in two ways:  public authorities are obliged to publish certain information about their activities; and members of the public are entitled to request information from public authorities.
  • Is there an independent authority?
    The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
  • How can I appeal a response?
    Once you have contacted South Wales Police to appeal a response that has been made, relating to a Data Protection or Freedom of Information matter and still wish to make an appeal to the response; you can write to the ICO – at the following address:
    Information Commissioner’s Office,
    Wycliffe House Water lane,
    SK9 5AF
  • What is third party information?
    Third Party information is defined in the Data Protection Act as:
    “ any person other than:
    (a) the data subject [i.e. the individual making the request]
    (b) the Data Controller [ i.e. the Chief Constable of South Wales Police]
    (c) any data processor or other person authorised to process data for the data Controller or processor.
    and does not include employees or agents of the data controller. Therefore, Third Party Data is any information that does not relate directly to the individual.
  • How do I contact the Freedom of Information (FOI) and Data Protection team?
    Freedom of Information (FOI) Team, Email:
    Data Protection Team, Email:
    To leave a message for The DP or FOI Team:
    Tel. 01656 303444
  • How do I obtain a copy of my criminal record?
    Please refer to Requesting a Copy of my Criminal Record

    • I’m having problems with the results of my DBS disclosure (formally known as CRB)?
      If you are having problems with the results of your DBS disclosure e.g. if you think your DBS certificate is wrong. This can include incorrect personal details, incorrect conviction information or other discrepancies. If you receive a DBS certificate with a conviction that doesn’t relate to you, you should also inform the person who requested that you complete the form as soon as possible, please contact the Disclosure and Barring Service in Liverpool:
      DBS Certificate Disputes
      PO Box 165
      L69 3JD
      Telephone: 03000 200 190 (open 9am -5pm Mon – Fri only)
  • What information can I request under SAR?
    People can request a copy of personal data held about them, subject to certain exemptions, by submitting a ‘Subject Access’ request (SAR).
    There are two forms for making a Subject Access Request SWP-SAR1 form for data held on South Wales Police local systems and/or the ACRO SAR1 form which you can access from the ACRO website, to request details of convictions held on the Police National Computer (PNC).The personal information held on South Wales Police local systems could include:
    – if you are the reporting person for an incident and require a copy of the Police report.
    – if you have made a statement to the Police and require a copy