South Wales Police Crest

South Wales Police

quick exit

Criminal Damage and Arson

Criminal damage is the intentional and malicious damage to the home, other property or vehicles and includes graffiti. Arson is the act of deliberately setting fire to property, including buildings and vehicles.

There are some things you can do to help prevent further criminal damage and arson attacks:

  • If your property has been damaged, it’s a good idea to get it repaired quickly if you can. Vandalised property can attract people who might cause more damage.
  • Keep a record of all events that you think are related to the arson attack or any subsequent criminal damage or harassment. Note as much detail as possible, including the date and time of incidents.
  • If possible, try to get photographic or video evidence. But you should only do this carefully and not put yourself at risk.
  • It’s a good idea to look at your home security and, if necessary, upgrade it.

Please always dial 999 in an emergency.

The 999 number should be used in emergency situations, so when a crime is in progress, a suspect is nearby, there is danger to life or when violence is threatened.

The 101 non-emergency number should be used to report non-urgent crime and for general enquiries. It’s the number to call if your car gets stolen for example, or if you want to report drug use or dealing, if your property gets damaged or to speak to an officer