If you live in South Wales and have been required to register with the police – an essential part of many foreign nationals’ visa conditions – please follow the instructions below to register with us.

Our details

If you live in South Wales (except the Swansea area, see below) you need to go to:

Nationality Department
Rumney Police station
713 Newport Road

Find Rumney Police station on a map

Open for appointments between Monday and Friday from 8.30am to 12pm and from 12.30pm to 2pm.

To make an appointment at the Nationality Department in Cardiff or Swansea, please go to our online portal and follow the instructions.

Swansea area residents (except students, see below)

If you live in the Swansea area you need to get to:

Civic Centre
Oystermouth Road

Find the Civic Centre on a map

Open on Thursday mornings, strictly by appointment only.

Students in Swansea

Please contact Student Services at your university; they’ll make an appointment for you to register with the police.

What to bring

Please check what to bring with you.

Please make sure you download and fill in the correct questionnaire (see the bottom of this page) and bring it with you.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

When to attend

You must visit us to register and get your police registration certificate (PRC) within seven days of arriving in South Wales. This is important, because if you don't you may face:

  • a £5,000 fine
  • a prison sentence
  • recommendation of deportation
  • a ten-year ban on entering the UK

We'll give you your police registration certificate (PRC) when you register. 

Unsure if you need to register? Read our advice for first time visitors: who needs to register as a foreign national?

When your details change

If you change any of your personal or contact details whilst studying or working in South Wales, you'll need to register the change with us, as above.

See reporting a change in circumstances or new visa to find out more about your particular change.

You must report any of the following changes within seven days:

  • change of address
  • change of college/university/course
  • change of occupation
  • change in marital status
  • new landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • new passport details
  • children born whilst you are in the UK
  • exemption from Police Registration

When you transfer to South Wales

If you're already registered with another force and you move to South Wales, you now need to update your certificate by registering with us, as above.

If you lose your certificate

If you've lost your police registration certificate, please register with us in the same way. We'll ask you about why and how you lost it, before we can consider issuing you a new one.

Please see our full checklist of what to bring with you when you visit us.