Frequently Asked Questions

PCSOs Carl Wesgate and Leighton Thomas talking to each other as they walk past boats on a pier at Rest Bay

Are there any current vacancies?

Visit our recruitment section to see what jobs are currently available.

Who is my local police officer?

Our dedicated neighbourhood policing site has details about your local officer, next PACT meeting and the policing priorities for your area.

How can I contact South Wales Police?

There are a number of ways to contact us. The most suitable way depends on your query and level of urgency .

Does South Wales Police have a Twitter feed?

Yes we do, you can follow us @swpolice. We also have local twitter feeds for Cardiff @swpeast, Swansea and Neath Port Talbot @swpwest, Vale of Glamorgan and Bridgend @swpcentral, along with Merthyr and Rhondda Cynon Taf @swpnorth. You can also follow our Air Support Unit @helicops

What do I do if I lose property or find property?

We will no longer be taking reports of lost property from people. This change takes effect from Monday 10th September 2012.

If you have lost property or found property, please take a look at our Lost and Found Property page which contains useful information to help you.

I had my phone taken off me by a police officer – how do I get it back?

If your phone was taken as part of a police investigation that is still underway, you won’t be able to have your phone back just yet. If your phone was taken and the investigation has concluded, contact the officer dealing with the case on their Blackberry so that they can advise you on whether it can be returned to you.

If your phone was taken as evidence and all court proceedings have finished, contact the officer dealing with the case on their Blackberry so they can arrange for your phone to be returned to you.

How do I apply for work experience with South Wales Police?

Unfortunately, due to resources, we are currently unable to run a centralized work experience scheme and are not currently accepting any requests for work experience.

I received an excellent service from South Wales Police recently and want to show my appreciation – what can I do?

We’re always delighted to hear of a job well done! Contact us online or send us a tweet via Twitter.

How do I contact the Press Office?

The Press Office in the Corporate Communications department is open for press enquiries Monday – Thursday 8.30am- 5pm and 8.30am – 4.30pm on Friday. Call the team on 01656 869291. The department also provides a 24-hour 365-day on-call media-handling facility for emergency out-of-hours critical incidents and major crimes.

I want to query my speeding ticket…

Please contact the Central Ticket Office in Pontypridd on 08453 306070. The phone line is open between 9.30am – 12.00pm and 2.00pm – 4.00pm Monday to Friday.

I want to complain about the parking ticket I have been issued with. Who do I contact?

Both the police and some local authorities have the power to issue fixed penalty notices for illegal parking. To make a complaint, please contact the issuer.

I am suffering from parking problems in my street, with cars blocking pavements and driveways…

Report the problem to your local neighbourhood policing team. Your local officer contact details are on

If a vehicle is causing an obstruction at this time i.e. cars blocking pavements and driveways, then ring 101. A car is allowed to park outside your address unless it is an allocated parking bay or disabled parking bay.

I need information from the police about a road collision to progress an insurance / civil claim. Who do I contact?

Please visit our Road traffic collisions: Insurance and civil proceedings page for guidance.

How do I contact the Chief Constable?

The Chief Constable for South Wales Police is Chief Constable Peter Vaughan.

You can contact Chief Constable Peter Vaughan via our online contact form.

Alternatively, you can write to him at the following address:


South Wales Police Headquarters

Cowbridge Road


CF31 3SU

How do I make a complaint about the police?

Our Professional Standards section gives details on the different ways you can make a complaint to the force.

Please note that you can also ask someone to make your complaint on your behalf, but we will need a copy of your authorisation in writing.

For example, you could contact your solicitor or MP or local Assembly Member.

Alternatively, you could visit your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or other Gateway organisations such as Race Equality First.

You can also contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission to make a complaint. If you complete their online form they will send it to us, without seeing or reading it, on your behalf.

I am a foreign national who has been ordered to sign the Police Registration Scheme upon entering the UK. How do I register with South Wales Police?

Visit our Foreign National Police Registration information page for details about registration venues in your area.

Didn’t find what you were looking for?

Contact us directly, or try, an official police resource with a huge bank of FAQ answers about the police.