In an emergency call 999

You can phone us on 999 when you need an urgent response. The 999 number should be used in emergency situations, so when a crime is in progress, a suspect is nearby, there is danger to life or when violence is threatened.

To report a non-emergency, call 101

The 101 non-emergency number should be used to report non-urgent crime and for general inquiries. It’s the number to call if your car gets stolen for example, or if you want to report drug use or dealing, if your property gets damaged or to speak to an officer.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired you can textphone 18001 101. If you are hearing-impaired you can also contact our minicom service on 01656 656980.

Alternatively you can contact the Public Service Centre by fax on 01656 869562 or email:

People who have a hearing or speech impairment can contact us by using the mini-com system 01656 656980 or by using the emergency SMS service, texting the recipient as ‘999’. Please note that to use this service you must pre-register either online at or by texting the word “register” to 999 and then follow the instructions.

Alternatively you can contact the Public Service Centre by fax on 01656 869562 or email:

Keep Safe Cymru Scheme

As part of our commitment to members of the public with communication difficulties, Keep Safe Cymru service users can also register with Next Generation Text Service. The organisation provides an App, which will make it much easier for people with hearing and speech impairment to make phone calls – it can be accessed via

If you have a general inquiry for South Wales Police, call 01656 655 555

If you wish to contact South Wales Police about a general matter, call 01656 655 555 to speak to a member of staff.

Get involved in neighbourhood policing

We have a well established neighbourhood policing service that gives you a friendly local officer and a number of ways to participate in ‘have a say’ and crime prevention events. You can contact your local officer directly by mobile phone, send them an email and of course speak to them when they are on patrol.

In each local area, we and our community partners hold a regular PACT meeting that gives you an opportunity to decide on what problems you want tackled to make your community better. Up to three priorities can be put forward at each meeting and officers will report back to you on what’s been done.

You could also consider joining or starting a local Neighbourhood Watch. It’s a great way to deter criminals and will encourage your community to look out for each other.

Our Neighbourhood Policing teams work in partnership with local watches to deal with issues that affect communities for the worst, such as anti-social behaviour and vehicle crime.

To find out more about neighbourhood policing please visit

Pop into your local police station

We have provided a front counter service at many stations for a number of years and you can still access our services in this way at 8 of the biggest police stations across South Wales, including Swansea Central, Neath, Bridgend, Barry, Cardiff Central, Cardiff Bay, Pontypridd and Merthyr Tydfil.

Our modern stations in Swansea Central and Cardiff Bay are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

To find out what times the police stations in your area are open, pop your postcode into our Police Stations page.


You can contact us using an online form and your query will go directly to the right department. You can also speak to us on social media sites like Twitter™ and Facebook™ but please do not report crime to us through these channels – call 999 or 101.

You can find out about local crime levels on crime mapper at


We always like getting letters and you can send them to:

South Wales Police HQ
Cowbridge Road
CF31 3SU

Mobile Police Stations – Police stations that come to you
We have launched two mobile police stations  that visit communities on a rota basis. For more information, visit our Mobile Police Stations page.


Police Access Points

We are also setting up a large number of Police Access Points in the heart of our communities, so you can come and speak with your local officers in community offices and shops.