As a police officer, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- A starting salary of £22,221
- A holiday entitlement of 22 days, with this increasing with your length of service
- Full pay during absence from duties due to sickness or injury for the first six months
- The opportunity to progress to higher ranks in the organisation
- The opportunity to join a specialist policing field; for example, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID)
- Eligibility to join the new Police Pension Scheme
- Eligibility to join the Police Federation
As a police officer with South Wales Police, you must be prepared to be posted and serve anywhere within the South Wales area.
You will also be required to work a shift pattern during a 40 hour week, with some shifts falling on weekends or unsociable hours. The police service as a whole is currently experimenting with a number of different shift patterns.
All new recruits must complete two years probation. During this time, student officers will undertake a training programme where they will learn the essential skills needed to fulfil their policing duties.